Ramblings of a 34B cup...

CHIT-CHATTING ABOUT ALL THE THINGS YOU COULD CARE LESS ABOUT...
Send your own ElfYourself eCards
Send your own ElfYourself eCards
Create Your OwnpetcentricOddcast Powered

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hiding in "perennial" site.

Gear. We've got waaay too much of it. Gear for biking, for fishing, for golfing, for wakeboarding, for tennis and above all tons of gear for bird hunting. My job in all this? To hide it. Behind buldging closet doors, in the jam-packed-full crawl space, in the attic above the garage and the most dreaded spot: under the deck. Yes, if you store the"stealth" duck boat your husband won at Cabela's under the deck; you might (are) a redneck. It bugs the you know what out of me each time I look in the general direction. Why in the heck it can't be suspended from the garage ceiling like all the bikes and fishing rods is beyond me? But there she sits just a-muckin' stuff up. So what do I do? You guessed it. I try and hide it. A couple summers ago I planted 3 'Karl Foerster reeded prairie grass plants. Perfect since their plum like foliage throughout the harsh winter months. But, I wasn't foolin' anyone. The one person boat was hiding in plain site. My friends at Dundee hooked me up with some great full-part sun perennials at a rate of buy 3 get one free. Then the fun part, getting those hands dirty, but only after a little manual labor of rock moving. After you have the layout complete and holes dug it's always best to mix in a little peet moss with the native clay soil in the Grove (be sure to check out the ever nostalgic "yard cart" courtesy of my late grandpappy). I planted two neon stars in the front, one yellow tiger tail front and center, two pixie miracle grace in the mid level (garden mezzanine if you will) and one towering bee balm in the back row center (just like me in my 4th grade classroom photo). All this while my trusty side kick went for a little afternoon swimmy-poo. A little pat on my own back for the finished product. Look MOM, no boat! Not bad, huh?

Tomorrow another treat for green thumbing bloggers... an update on the vege garden!

2 comments:

Henry said...

That looks so beautiful! You have the best gardens. I can't wait to see them in person.

gina said...

dangit i wish i had even part of a hint of a green thumb. good work!